Friday 5 January 2018

Gobber Chavs

In the Alien Humanoids section of the Bestiary on the WOIN website (a fantastic resource, by the way) is an entry for a Gobber Scavenger. Gobbers are gibbering, scrappy, little goblinoid thieves which attack in packs. They are rank grade 5 and individually are rather weak, but in numbers, they can be quite bothersome.
These five figures were sculpted by Kevin White for his Hasslefree Miniatures company but sadly, are no longer available for sale. From left to right are Wakka, armed with two Slugger Pistols, Asbo, armed with a Laser Pistol (it's tucked into the right side of his jeans) and a knife, Arkid who is armed with a broken bottle (counts as a knife), Aylaa, armed with a laser pistol, and Stella, armed with a blaster pistol. Note that Arkid has his left hand thrust down his pants as he plays with himself!
Gobbers have three special exploits -
Pack Attack. Gobbers work together well. Any allies adjacent to the victim count as flanking, gaining the +1d6 bonus to attack. When four or more Gobbers are adjacent to the victim, the victim becomes overwhelmed, and becomes Fatigued at the beginning of their turn.
Snatch. A Gobber can make an attack to snatch a weapon or item from an adjacent foe.
Death from on High. Gobbers can drop down on their opponent from at least 5' above him, making a claw attack. This knocks the opponent prone as well as doing the Gobber's normal damage (2d6+2 piercing damage).
These are fun figures, who would work just as well as perps in a Judge Dredd game. I do like that they are all dressed as Chavs, which just seems so appropriate for them.
To the left of here is the illustration used for a Gobber Scavenger in the Alien Humanoids section of the Bestiary. I think these figures are a good match for him. There is a good chance that this group will pop up in my The Ace of Spades Campaign as a minor distraction for the crew.

14 comments:

  1. Well I wasn't expecting this posting, Bryan. Wow... "W.O.I.N." clearly caters for a vast multitude of aliens. Very colourful and characterful indeed :-) Any idea why Kev stopped selling them, I'd have thought they'd have been popular enough to keep on the menu?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Simon. I suspect this post will catch most viewers off guard! To be honest, I don't know why they were available for only a limited time, but I think Dave may have hit the nail on the head with his comment below.

      Delete
    2. Ah, yes... Poor Kev Adams was attacked by some burglars as I recall, and Dave's spot on that the sculpting world rallied around him and produced a load of specials to generate cash for him to help get back on his feet. Makes perfect sense.

      Delete
    3. Indeed, and it just goes to show how kind-hearted and generous of spirit most people in the gaming world are.

      Delete
  2. Very nicely done Gobbo's Bryan, were they part of the set that was released to help the sculptor who was mugged ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Dave. I rather suspect you are right. That vaguely rings a bell with me and may explain why they only had a limited release.

      Delete
  3. I took a look over on the WOIN link to the main site and noticed that I could buy a copy of the rules in physical format over on Amazon. Since I'm currently buying in figures and terrain left-right-and-centre for my own solo Sci-Fi gaming, I got a Pb B/W edition of the rules. Bryan, you should, obviously, take credit for my interest in the game rules, as this blog has definitely played a big part in my future plans for my hobby time. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll just add that its v.1.2 of the rules that I've bought. And that I'm hoping to check out Dave's terrain down at the Bournemouth show since I'm working that one (all things being well with Stu).

      Delete
    2. That is absolutely wonderful news, Roy. I am so happy for you and I truly hope you get as much fun from this excellent sci-fi RPG as I have. Version 1.2 is the way to go, whatever format you choose. I've just heard that my hardback version of the rulebook has been posted and I can't wait to get hold of it. I've had a good scan through the PDF version, but as far as I'm concerned, nothing beats having a real book in your hands.

      Delete
    3. I forgot to mention, you can't go wrong with Dave's terrain. Seeing them in the flesh will really test your resolve! It could be an expensive trip!

      Delete
    4. Dave’s Terrain is excellent Roy, good luck resisting!

      Delete
    5. Don't even try resisting, Roy. It'll be futile. Just takes lots of cash or your credit card!

      Delete
  4. These are amazing!! I’m so jealous, what a marvellous collection of gobbos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Andy. I shouldn't be surprised that the man from Da Gobbo Grotto loves these Gobbers so much. :-)

      Delete