Saturday 4 November 2017

Borians 01

I'm taking a short break from my The Ace of Spades Campaign as I need to make a few buildings to use in the hostage rescue mission. So I thought I'd start a series of posts looking at some of the figures I have for the various races that appear in the N.E.W. role-playing game. First up are the Borians, a race of space-faring dwarves who are noted for their craftsmanship and engineering. Borians are either red-skinned or blue-skinned. There is a minor psychological difference between red and blue Borians. Red Borians are extremely organised; their schedules are meticulate, their workshops clean. Blue Borians, on the other hand, seem to operate in what can only be described as chaos; while they clearly have a complete handle on what's going on around them, their workshops are cluttered and untidy, and their methods appear to be slapdash and haphazard.
At the far left is Banderhaven, who appeared in part 02 of the Raid on Sterling scenario in my The Ace of Spades Campaign. He is an ex-mercenary who has retired due to the injuries he received in combat. This figure was made by Mantic Games as a Dreadball Dwarven Coach. I bought him to use as a citizen in Mega City One but when I bought N.E.W. I repainted his skin tones red and thus turned him into a Borian. Sadly, he is no longer available. It is a shame because he is a really well-sculpted plastic figure.
Next in line is Cuttlewick, a Borian gunsmith. As everyone knows, Borians make the best gunsmiths in the galaxy! This is an incredibly old figure. He was originally a Citadel Miniatures 25mm scale Citi-Defence soldier made for the Judge Dredd Role-Playing Game by Games Workshop in the 1980's. Even at 25mm scale, for a human, he was very small. I recently dug him out, and converted him into a Borian by adding his beard and moustache out of Milliput.
The two blue Borians were both produced by Grenadier Miniatures as part of their old Shadowrun range. I have named them as Barnoldward and Puddlebatch. Barnoldward, in the long coat, is an engineer and Puddlebatch is a research scientist. Once again, both figures are long out of production.

If you are at all interested in learning a lot more about the Borians then I highly recommend buying the 32 page N.E.W. supplement of The Moons of Boria by Russ Morrissey available here - http://www.rpgnow.com/product/215692/WOIN-The-Moons-of-Boria at £6.02 for either the softback book or PDF file or indeed both. It goes into far greater detail for this race than the N.E.W. rulebook covers.

8 comments:

  1. Its brilliant to read of all these old figures finding new uses in modern rules. Most people, myself included, would have probably sold them off or thrown them out years ago, so it really is a lesson in waste not, want not.

    I'm way behind on blog posts, I've the last three Ace posts still to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Roy. The idea of throwing away or giving away old figures is just anathema to me. I still have figures bought way back in the 1970's in my collection and I can appreciate their rarity value. Still, I do take your point and it is a valid one.

      Oh, you have some fun posts about Kimberley and co to read, especially the bar-room brawl!

      Delete
  2. Excellent retro minis Bryan and nice repurposing 😉

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Andy. They fit the bill perfectly.

      Delete
  3. Let this post be a lesson to ALL the younger gamers that read it!
    Too late for us 'old grognards' who can only weep tears of regret :-(
    Great looking characters and another excellent "info" post on your campaign Bryan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, indeed, Greg. With a figure collection as huge as mine I'm loathe to get rid of any of it, despite the fact I have stuff I will never, ever use again.

      Delete
  4. Some nice additions Bryan, they could make any spaceport seem huge with their size

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Dave. I dunno why but I can just imagine you playing a Borian very well! :-)

      Delete